High Noon Down Under and Sig Sauer M11-A1 (p228)

Since we inevitably go through them all, they get their own discussion
DirtDiver

High Noon Down Under and Sig Sauer M11-A1 (p228)

Postby DirtDiver » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:42 pm

If there's one thing I've determined as I've systematically gone through a gambit of holsters, it's that I don't particularly care for kydek against my body. Let me explain, I prefer IWB carry. I tried A-IWB for a while, which was the easiest to conceal for me and also the fastest to draw, but sitting all day wreaked havoc on my groin. It was terribly uncomfortable. Then there was the pant-hiking. A-IWB was just too awkward for me in the long-run. Sure, I still carry like that occasionally, like when I'm walking the dog or on my feet all day in the Summer. I've also tried 5-o'clock and even small of back carry, but both made sitting hard due to back problems from years of sports. My go-to, EDC position, is on my hip. But in what?

Of course, damn near everyone who carries a firearm daily is quick to recommend Crossbreed. So, naturally, I ordered one thinking I was really going to like it since everyone spoke so highly of them. Same goes for AlienWear (which I've also tried), I consider the two damn near the same. So my Crossbreed arrives, I clip it in IWB on my hip and proceed to go about my day. Yeah, didn't work for me. I'm by no means bashing Crossbreed either, so don't take me the wrong way. I just found the wings to pull at my belt when seated, tightening it across the front, and the flaring leather around the muzzle area at the bottom of the holster, pressed into my thigh - especially when in the car. It was fine standing up, but a lot to have shoved inside my belt. That said, it was tolerable and I liked the leather.

After that FAIL, I worked my way through a few different kydex holsters. First the Raven Concealment INCOG (too bulky), then a SIK Holsters straight, then a VEIL Solutions with suede coating like the Raven, then another SIK, this time with a 15 degree cant. That last one has pretty much been my go-to with my M11-A1 this Fall/Winter/Spring (I carry an M&P Shield in the Summer).

SIDEBAR: if you're in the market for a kydex holster, I highly recommend SIK. Checkout his Instagram for examples.

So, where was I? Oh yeah, the canted SIK kydex... It just rode well IWB on my hip. Sometime between when I first ordered the SIK and now, I made my way through a number of other holsters as well, including the Fobus paddles and even a N82 - which was nice, but still bulky. The only thing I could seem to conceal (no matter what I had on or what I was doing all day) was my M11-A1 in the SIK.

A couple months ago I saw an Instagram post from another Sig owner who was carrying a p228 in a High Noon Down Under. It looked comfortable. So, after a lot of Internet research I decided to try one out. I went with a horsehide model with 15 degree cant, and High Noon's thickest leather, which has a sweat guard that extends completely up the slide on the inside. This means none of the gun, sans for the grip, touches my skin. Plus, it's leather.

It's too early to tell if the High Noon is going to work out. It's a little thick right where the holster meets up with my belt, much thicker than the SIK kydex. I've thought about having SIK just match the sweat guard of the High Noon, but I think that the kydex would either be too rigid and cut into my side or be too soft and ultimately bend and/or snap off. The High Noon also isn't canted as much as I think it should be. HN claims it's 15 degrees. If it is, I wish it could be custom ordered at 20, or even 30 degrees. I will say this much, the horsehide feels good!

I'll keep you posted!

DirtDiver

Re: High Noon Down Under and Sig Sauer M11-A1 (p228)

Postby DirtDiver » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:27 pm

Well, I had high hopes for the High Noon and so far it hasn't lived up to my expectations. Although I ordered the spring clip version, there's a lot of wiggle while in jeans and a thick 1.5" carry belt. That wiggle causes the rig to rotate forward as my body moves a bit, which gives me the extra cant I was looking for, but causes the leather sweat guard to wing out from my body. It's noticeable in that position even with a heavy sweater over top. If I consciously adjust it as I stand it's fine... but this isn't what I was expecting. I'll keep you posted.

Return to “Holsters”

sig-owners.com is a Sig Sauer enthusiast forum, and is in no way affiliated with nor represent Sig Sauer, Inc.
The Sig logo and Sig Sauer name are registered trademarks of Sig Sauer, Inc.